Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Downsview

I've been back to trying to get some solid miles and good workouts in.  Hard when 4 kids are sharing germs, and cooler weather just means MORE germs.

Sunday, Nicci and I decided to hit Downsview *me the half marathon and her the 5k* .  It promised to be a flat and fast course.  It wasn't flat.  The first 4 km were actually hilly through out the park and around.  (Which means being an out and back course...... you are finishing with those same hills.) 

I went in with the thoughts of just finishing and enjoying my run.  Honestly, looking at my training log, I hadnt had a good long run in a few months.  There was the Run for the Toad, but being a trail run, it wasnt a 'consistant' run.  Sick kids, and entering shorter distances on Sundays, I just wanted a nice long run with no excuses.

It was chilly in the morning with the promise of being warm that day, BUT the woman on the radio said high of 4 with rain.  I threw on a sport bra and a light lululemon pullover.  ( Wasnt as light as I liked, as by 5k, I was HOT)

My Garmin was beeping about 30+ steps before the km markers on course, and after the initial few km, I really felt like it was running from one parking lot to another parking lot.  The orange pylons seemed all over the place, but they did have tons of volunteers to usher us where we needed to go.  And the volunteers were great with calling runners by name to cheer them on. 

I kept thinking how GLAD I was that Scott and the kids didnt come for the scenic beauty that was promised.  I had mentioned them coming to look at "all the vintage planes' that were going to be there. 
ONE.   Somewhere around 8km. 

My toes were aching on this run, I wore my NB and I've run longISH in them , but the first at a full half distance.  Maybe stupid, but nothing that I couldnt handle or would stop me from wearing them again.
One thing I really dislike about some out and back, is running PAST the finish line with another 4k or so to go.  Very frustrating and I hate knowing to be so close and yet so far away.  Then of course, as mentioned those lovely hills in the beginning.  We had a nice down hill slope around 20 km , sharp right turn and UP HILL for the last 500m or so to the finish. 
I was 2h 3m, and considering the amount I walked ( in the last 4km..... those hills were hard on tired legs, and some weird 'ache' in my left groin/hip) I am ok with it.  Not my best time and really deep down would have like a PB , but knowing where my training has been since August, a lot of running, just not long runs--I know I have growth room!
As always though, Nicci and I had a great time together, lots of laughing and chatting.  Which is 99% of our reason for going!







1 comment:

  1. That;s one amazing time for some walking!!!!! Great job.....too bad there weren't many "scenic plants" :( I am glad you had fun though!!!

    ReplyDelete